Do I have to become the registered keeper of a vehicle to finance it?

Help & Advice

You don’t always have to be the registered owner and keeper of the car, we have a range of products that allow you to take out finance in your name, but have a different person named on the V5 certificate.

We do also have a number of lenders who are willing to allow parents to take out finance on behalf of their child. So, it’s always worth contacting us to explain your situation to see if we can help.

However, if you apply for finance and don’t tell us that you won’t be the registered owner and keeper, you may find yourself accused of fronting and trying to take out car finance for someone else is fraud. Here are two common forms of fronting:

A parent will apply for finance and put their name on the V5 registration certificate. However, once they have the car, they change the name on the V5 to their child and they become the keeper and driver.

A similar scenario is when one partner earns more than the other. The partner who earns more will apply for the finance and put their name on the V5. Once the application for finance is fully approved, they transfer the car to their partner, as they’re the one who’s really keeping and driving the car.

In these situations, the best way forward is to do a joint application or find a guarantor, who’ll agree to pay your monthly amount should be unable to do so.

Arrange a call back

Opening hours:
9am to 8pm Monday - Friday
9am to 6pm Saturday
10am to 6pm Sunday and Bank Holidays