The Average Life of a Family Car
The average family car will travel 59,814 miles, suffer 12 dents and scratches - and be home to 36 family arguments, a study by car finance experts revealed yesterday.
Car Loan 4U found that for the six years the average family will use the same car, it will also be used to go on 18 holidays and mini-breaks, 66 day trips and make 702 trips on the school run.
It will also be the setting for at least one break-up and be used as a make-shift bed for the night by 22 per cent of drivers.
The result is the car will be home to 12 drink spills, hear children say ‘Are we nearly there yet’ 360 times, be the scene of 216 tantrums and completely breakdown twice over that time.
Meanwhile, it will suffer 12 faults over its lifetime and will be kept going for more than a year and a half on its last legs before finally being replaced with a new one.
James Wilkinson, CEO for online car finance specialist Car Loan 4U, said: “Close to one in five customers have told us they look to update their vehicle as direct result of changing family circumstances.
“The average family car is really worked hard over the years, running errands, visiting friends and relatives, holidays, day trips and numerous school runs.
“Many of us spend a huge amount of time in our car, especially when you factor in the time you spent lost or stuck in traffic, so it’s inevitable it’s likely to witness a host of family arguments and spilt drinks.
“But it means our car is likely to end up a little bit worn out before too long, both inside the car and mechanically.
“We specialise in finding car finance packages to suit all types of personal circumstances, and what’s more, we offer full vehicle history and vehicle valuation checks so you can be assured your new car is roadworthy and worth the asking price too.”
The study of 2,000 drivers revealed the average family car will also make four trips a month – 48 a year – to see relatives as well as 30 trips to the doctors, dentists and hospital over its lifetime.
The same car will also spend nine days of its lifetime frustrated and held up in traffic. Meanwhile, the hard work takes its toll on the car with it gaining an average of two dents and scratches each year, and a total of 12 faults over the six years requiring £1,491 to fix.
James Wilkinson added, “There’s only so much you can do to keep your car at its best and worryingly, it seems a large number of us keep our car limping on long after it needs fixing or replacing. While it may seem like it’s saving you money, it may end up costing you more in the long run.”
When Brits finally take the decision to change their car, they will spend six weeks researching what car to get next, test driving three motors before buying a new one. Ford Focus is considered the best family car, followed by the Ford Mondeo, Audi A4 and Volkswagen Golf.
The average family car:
- Travels 9,969 miles a year.
- Will be driven by two different people
- Is used for three holidays, mini-breaks and weekends away.
- Will be driven to 11 day trips.
- Is used for three trips to or from school lasting a total of 47 minutes a week.
- Makes four trips to see relatives a month
- Makes five trips to the doctor, dentist or hospital each year.
- Gets lost twice a year.
- Gets stuck in traffic eight times a months for 23 minutes on each occasion.
- Will be home to 6 arguments a year.
- Has two spilt drinks inside it a year.
- Will be cleaned or tidied five times a year.
- Will be home to three tantrums a month.
- Will see one bout of car sickness a year.
- Will hear children say ‘Are we nearly there yet?’ five times a month.
- Will see £3.54 found in loose change each year.
- Go through a drive-thru three times a year.
- Witness six songs sung along to at full volume each week.
- Have two scratches or dents each year.
- Develop two faults each year.
- Break down twice over the course of the time you own it.
- Will need £248.51 spent on repairs each year. -Will still be driven for more than a year and a half after first thinking you need to replace it.
Top ten family cars
- Ford Focus
- Ford Mondeo
- Audi A4
- Volkswagen Golf
- Vauxhall Astra
- Vauxhall Zafira
- BMW 5 series
- BMW 3 series
- Vauxhall Insignia
- BMW 1 series